When your pet needs to undergo surgery, we understand how important it is to feel confident you are receiving the best care available. At Animal Hospital of San Luis Obispo, we go above and beyond to provide a safe, comfortable, and compassionate environment for your beloved pet to be treated and recover in. We pride ourselves in maintaining an impeccable facility and practicing the very highest standards in veterinary medicine. Our surgical guidelines include:
- Our veterinary surgeon will do a thorough physical exam of your pet, answer any questions you might have about the upcoming procedure, and complete any necessary pre-anesthetic diagnostics. Our staff will provide you with a detailed estimate for the cost of the procedure and discuss any preparations you may want to make.
- If your pet has not had recent bloodwork done, we will perform a basic pre-anesthetic blood panel in-house to ensure your pet is healthy enough for anesthesia. This panel allows us to customize your pet’s anesthesia protocol, and it provides crucial information about any difficulties we should anticipate during the procedure.
Sterile Surgical Facility:
- Our state-of-the-art surgical facility practices the highest level of sterile technique, and every precaution is taken to ensure a sterile environment during surgical procedures. Veterinarians and technicians wear sterile surgical gowns, disposable gloves, masks, and caps to prevent the spread of any infection, and after each procedure, all surgical equipment is cleaned, sterilized, and then wrapped and double-sterilized in our autoclave. We are proud to follow all industry best practices regarding advanced sterile technique, including strict guidelines established by the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA).
Soft-Tissue Pet Surgery
AHSLO offers soft tissue surgeries including:
- Routine spay/neuter
- Tumor excision
- Removal of foreign body
- Gastric dilation/volvulus (bloat)
- Stomach tacking
- Urinary blockage
- Wound repair/reconstruction
- Caesarean section
- Bladder surgery including stone removal
- Removal of skin growths
- Surgical oncology
AHSLO offers orthopedic surgeries including:
- Cruciate ligament repair
- Tibial tuberosity advancement (TTA)
- Femoral head ostectomy (FHO)
- Fracture repair
- Patella luxation repair
- External fixation
We are also proud to offer referrals to a variety of local, board-certified specialists for advanced surgical intervention and aftercare, as needed.